Wicked Incognito Now's Reviews > Changeless

Changeless by Gail Carriger

Aug 31, 10

bookshelves: own-ebook
Read from August 29 to 31, 2010

I'm so upset right now, I just want to cry for Alexia. Because for goodness' sake, the poor woman has no soul! She can't cry for herself!!!

Alright, I'm not going to be all spoilery. I'm just going to say what others have already--there is a cliffhanger with this one, so make sure you've got Blameless on hand before reading it. Also, don't read the Blameless blurb BEFORE reading Changeless. I was given this sage advice by my wonderful Goodreads friends, and it was good advice indeed.

Now--as for Changeless--as the title suggests there's an epidemic of changelessness is going on in the supernatural world. In other words, the supernatural set finds themselves with their souls sucked--and with Alexia nowhere in sight to be the cause!

So, our intrepid soulless investigator sets out to figure out what is happening.

I love love love this series. I love the steampunk Victorian age setting. I love the whole concept of supernaturalism being caused by an excess of soul, and the counter-balance of that being a breed that has a lack of soul. I love Alexia's no nonsense character, and I love the auxillary cast of characters. Although, I must say that I'm finding Ivy a tad annoying. She just always seems to be in the middle of everything, but no good whatsoever.

In Changeless we got a few more interesting characters in the Kingair pack (Lord Maccon's family members and previous pack in Scotland) and Madame Lefoux, the lesbian inventor. Madame Lefoux is just as enjoyable as Lord Akeldama, but without all the italics.

Most of all, I LOVE the jaunty punctilious writing style.

Okay--now I must read Blameless, and dude, someone better be getting their act together or I will be PISSED!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changeless.

08/29/2010 page 80
21.0% "I finally get to read this now that Blameless comes out tomorrow." 2 comments
08/30/2010 page 95
24.0% ""Careful there, Professor. Only one person is allowed to say insulting things about me to my face, and you are certainly not large enough to be he."" 6 comments
08/30/2010 page 155
40.0% "" 'Well, my little buttercups.' Uh-oh, Alexia winced in sympathy. Madame Lefoux had achieved Akeldama-appellative status. They would now have to suffer together." lol. There is just no getting over my amusement at almost every line Carriger writes." 1 comment
08/31/2010 page 250
64.0% "I'm just so worried about what is going to happen! I know it must be something catastrophic, or "catatonic" as Ivy would say, for everyone to be going on about this big cliffhanger and the blurb on Blameless (which I have NOT read)....." 9 comments
08/31/2010 page 370
95.0% "FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!! STUPID STUPID WEREWOLF!!!!!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catherine Do you know how far I was into the book before I made the connection with the title? *blush* So embarrassing!

Wicked Incognito Now lol! Me too. I was all--DUH!

Catherine They were in Scotland and she specifically referred to their changeless state. It was the classic light bulb moment. *shakes head* Idiot!

Diamond Yes! I am seriously pissed by that unnecessary ending!. I can't believe they didn't even have a private conversation about it...wtf! And why won't she just stomp to her house and confront him? Gah! Ok, the first chapter was at the end of my copy and now I'm dying to read blameless. Thankfully I can pick up a copy tomorrow. But tell me, does Blameless at least redeem itself of this horrible error? I'm scared to read it if they don't reunite I WILL quit this series!