Tori [Bottles of Summer]'s Reviews > The Spurned Viscountess

The Spurned Viscountess by Shelley Munro

I've been on a historical fiction spree as of late. Actually, ever since I've read THE MASTER AND THE MUSES, I've been salivating for more books to read of that nature. So when I discovered THE SPURNED VISCOUNTESS, a historical fiction with paranormal elements, I was more than excited to dive straight into this tale.

Before I begin, it is important to note that the paranormal aspects do not play a huge role in this tale. I was warned of this before I read the novel, so I didn't have any expectations about that part.

Overall, this is an enjoyable read. The storyline kept me intrigued from the first page all the way to the last. I kept wondering how Rosalind was going to win Lucien's favor. I wanted to know what would happen between the two, and whether or not Hawk, our bad guy, was going to get caught earlier rather than later. I wanted to know what was going to happen to Mary, despite how annoying she was.

The twist at the end--Hawk's identity--caught me by surprise. I definitely did not expect that person to be Hawk. Though now that I look back, it does make more sense.

I had a few problems with the tale. For starters, I found myself craving for more showing over telling. We have all of these events transpiring, and yet, I didn't always feel emotionally invested with what happened to Rosalind and Lucien. At these points, I felt more like an impassive bystander looking through binoculars.

Rosalind had a tendency to lift her chin up a lot. I would have enjoyed a few other actions used to explain her defiance or stubbornness; perhaps clenching her fists, placing her hands on her hips and narrowing her eyes, pursing her lips... there's so many. After a while, I began to roll my eyes whenever there was something about her chin. Then I began to wonder if Rosalind had a weird chin. Was it big? It always seemed to grab Lucien's attention first.

I thought Lucien's appearance towards the end was way too convenient. I also thought Rosalind should have used her powers before she wandered off with the two men she left with, especially when she began to catch glimpses of some weird thoughts. I don't know, that's what I would have done the second I felt something was off, despite any reservations about my mind reading abilities.

A word of warning for those of you using NetGalley: Formatting, I've noticed, is very wonky when it comes to NetGalley titles on a Kindle. This story is no exception, and I struggled with POV swaps because of said format. So if you decide to get this title via NetGalley, please keep that in mind.

Despite a few bumps in the reading experience, THE SPURNED VISCOUNTESS was, nevertheless, a fun read. When I reached the final page, I gave a sigh in relief, now that I knew Lucien and Rosalind finally had their happily ever after.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spurned Viscountess.