-k The Lady Critic's Reviews > The Hundred and One Dalmatians

The Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith

Aug 29, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own

I had picked this book up on a whim quite a while ago from a Value Village – side note; it’s an amazing place to find used books – and it took me quite a long time to come around to pick it up and read it. As a child I loved the Disney movie (the original, not one of the sequels or the live-action version), and I own a VHS copy of it which I haven’t sat down to watch lately, so a few weeks ago I figured that i would give it a chance and see just how similar the movie was to the book.

It wasn’t that I was disappointed; that’s too harsh a word. I think that I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I thought that I would because I’ve grown older and I’m not entertained by that sort of thing anymore. That being said, it was a wonderful book which I would highly recommend to younger children who haven’t been robbed of their naiveté. I did enjoy reading it; being able to revert back to childhood, but the allure was lost which would have been there had I of read it earlier in life.

One thing that I also found about this book was that it was very dated, as it should be since it was written over half a century ago. While I could overlook a lot of it, there were some comments that really made me re-read the sentence just to make sure that I had read it right the first time.

After it all, I have to give this book a 5/10, but only because it didn’t live up to what I fully expected it to be. I’m sure that many other people would disagree with me, and as a classic children’s novel goes, this was definitely higher rating – like a 7 or 8/10. If you want to read a good, classic children’s book, then try this one out but if you’re looking for a read in general, this may not be for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred and One Dalmatians.