Jill Miskin's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Chris Crutcher

Dec 31, 10

bookshelves: ya
Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This book is about a high school senior, Ben Wolf, who finds out he has a terminal illness before school starts and decides not to tell anyone. He wants a normal year without the dying thing hanging over him. However, he realizes once you get the news your time is limited, normal takes on a whole new definition. There is enough swearing in this book to bother me, though I know it is all believeable swearing as I remember high school still. I didn't realize how much football was going to play a role, which surprised me a bit, as my life always intercedes with football wherever it is to be found. I did like that not everything was about Ben all the time. Other characcters has very really and complex issues that were just awful to deal with and sort of awful to read about. And I guess it becomes realistic when Ben realizes he has to tell people, that the truth he is looking for can't be found while he is hiding such a big secret. So far as a YA book, I would say 16+. The language and some of the content just aren't appropriate for any younger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.