Karen's Reviews > Us: Americans Talk About Love

Us by John Bowe

F 50x66
Aug 29, 10

Read in August, 2010

So I originally intended to give this book 1 star. I got a third of the way through the book and couldn't read anymore. The authors of this book went around and interviewed a bunch of people to get stories that purportedly illustrated the concept of “love”. The first third dealt with new relationships and I found it extremely depressing. It was chock-full of seriously messed up people and their sad and pointless tales of self-destruction which was not at all what I was looking for.

However when I went to write my review I noticed a few other reviews that had the same complaint as me but also said there were some gems later in the book so I gave it another chance and I am really glad I did. There were some much richer stories in the mid-section of the book once it started dealing with longer relationships. If anyone is interested in reading this book I'd suggest reading the first bit of each story and skipping those that don't appeal to you, especially at the beginning and end of the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Us.