Debbie's Reviews > La's Orchestra Saves the World

La's Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall Smith

Aug 29, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-adult-fiction, oldbooks-historicalfiction
Read in August, 2010

I didn't mean to read two books about war and music at the same time, but the Librarian of Fate decreed it so. This book takes place during WWII, following a young woman named La who lives in a house in the country after her brief marriage ends. Collaborating with an officer at the nearby RAF base, she directs an amateur orchestra in her village. Although they can only meet once a month to practice, their rough concerts draw big crowds.

The book is mostly about La, though, and her quiet life in the country, contributing to the war effort by taking care of an arthritic farmer's chickens, working with her orchestra and maybe falling in love again.

(It took me a while, but it finally occurred to me who the two men in the first chapter are.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La's Orchestra Saves the World.

Quotes Debbie Liked

Alexander McCall Smith
“We can't afford to be without God," Feliks continued. "Even if he doesn't exist, we have to hold on to him. Because if we don't, then how are we to convince ourselves that we have to go on with this fight? If you take God out of it, then right and justice become small, human things. And weak things, too.”
Alexander McCall Smith, La's Orchestra Saves the World