Beth's Reviews > The Creation of Eve

The Creation of Eve by Lynn Cullen

Aug 29, 10

I really enjoyed this book tells the story of Sofonisba Anguissola, a female painter during the Renaissance. Blessed with the gift of painting, she catches the eye of Michelangelo who invites her to study with him for a few weeks. She meets another painter and falls in love with him in just a short period of time. After returning home, she hopes he will send for her to marry her. Instead the King of Spain invites her to be a lady-in-waiting for his new bride.

For the next three-quarters of the book, Sofonisba is in Spain, as a lady-in-waiting and not being able to fully practice her artistic gift, as painting was considered a man's practice. The part of the book while she is in Spain is great, as she describes the intrigues that happen in the castle, favoritism, history in the making, and all of the historical things that happened during the Renaissance and in royal courts.

I really enjoyed reading this book, as I love art and history, especially during this time period. I also liked it because it followed the life of a female painter, something that is not talked about much because of the male painters during this time period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Creation of Eve.