Catherine's Reviews > When Beauty Tamed the Beast

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James

Feb 07, 11

bookshelves: historical, romance, buddy-read, fairy-tale, bad-childhood, england, read-2011, series-but-not-officially, doctor
Read from February 06 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy

This book was absolutely fabulous in the beginning! I loved the banter and I loved the characters. Linnet was such a great heroine and I adored her willingness to go toe to toe with the beast of a doctor, Piers. I've heard that the author modeled the hero after Dr. House, and it must be true because the similarities are quite obvious. That's all right though because I've always enjoyed House. He's an ass, yes, but he is also strangely nice and oddly charming. So it's no surprise that I loved Piers too.

I loved the playfulness between Linnet and Piers. They actually became friends in this book which is something I treasure in my romances. The humor was spot on as well. Just like in the last fairytale style book Eloisa James wrote this one has a bit of a farcical feel to it. I saw shades of my favorite couple by this author (in the beginning at least) when Piers and Linnet decided to play and tease each other. It was sexy and fun and I felt they fit together well.

I really liked the side bits we got of Piers's mother and father. The revelations we had about their past and the reason Piers disliked his father is heartbreaking. I think the author was smart to show his pov because otherwise it would have been harder to forgive him for his mistakes.

So why isn't this a 5 star? Because the book went down the drain toward the end. The conflict at the end seemed to come out of nowhere and I felt that forgiveness came way too easily. It was like so many other issues cropped up after that scene that the actual original conflict wasn't given more than a token apology. I wasn't enraged when it ended, but I was still miffed and I felt that things were solved too easily. It actually bothered me so much that it took the grade down to a very low 4 stars. I debated going into the 3 star range, but I enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book too much to do that.

I'm still looking forward to the next fairytale themed book, but I hope that one stays good throughout instead of turning lame at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Beauty Tamed the Beast.

02/06/2011 page 9
2.0% "

"It makes you look like a light frigate," she observed.

"What?"

A light frigate. A light woman!"

Isn't a frigate a boat?"

" 1 comment
02/06/2011 page 28
7.0% "

It's the beauty," her aunt said, preening a little. "The women in my family are simply cursed by our beauty. Look at dear Rosalyn, dying so young."

"I don't see that it's cursed you," the viscount said, rather rudely.

" 3 comments
02/06/2011 page 35
9.0% "

"Not simpleminded," Zenobia said triumphantly. "Even better!"

There was a moment of silence as both Linnet and her father thought abut what that could mean.

"He hasn't got what it takes," her aunt clarified.

"He hasn't?" Sundon asked blankly.

"Minus a digit," Zenobia added.

"A finger?" Linnet ventured.

-LOL!" 4 comments
02/06/2011 page 49
13.0% "

"There's nothing I like more than meeting velvet-clad peers while wrapped in a towel," he said. "They're going to lie to me anyway, but it keeps them alert."

"Lie?" Neythen asked, sounding shocked.

"It comes with the peerage. Really. It's only the poor who bother with honesty, these days."

" 4 comments
02/06/2011 page 70
18.0% "

"And you must be my father," Marchant continued. His voice was not in the least welcoming.

"I am," the duke said, his voice halting. "I am he"

- Wait, what?" 6 comments
02/06/2011 page 81
21.0% "I'm loving the banter. :)" 4 comments
02/06/2011 page 91
24.0% "Ooh! Tension with his dad because of that?" 6 comments
02/06/2011 page 105
27.0% "The hung thing versus straight up at the pool was funny. And enlightening!" 10 comments
02/06/2011 page 127
33.0% "Oh ho! The plot thickens with the new arrival." 3 comments
02/06/2011 page 139
36.0% "

You shouldn't be ogling me like that," she stated.

"You're my fiancee." His voice was husky and dark, without any of the usual mocking undertones that generally accompanied his every word.

"Not anymore," she said, licking her bottom lip.

"You know," he said, "I think we should explore this whole question of betrothal a bit more thoroughly. We might be tossing out the baby with the bathwater."

" 2 comments
02/06/2011 page 160
42.0% "

"Aren't you going to ask what the Family is, if only so you can run off and join them?"

"I didn't realize you needed a response. When Hamlet is giving a monologue, he just goes on and on by himself."

" 3 comments
02/06/2011 page 193
50.0% "Ooh la la! The wind stole the towel." 3 comments
02/06/2011 page 210
55.0% "Ah, crap. I knew something like that caused his injury." 11 comments
02/07/2011 page 217
57.0% "I've got to stop there? Wah! Damn work. :(" 5 comments
02/07/2011 page 231
60.0% "Okay, that is seriously not a sexy term to me. Don't break the mood please." 8 comments
02/07/2011 page 244
64.0% "

"If I were to marry anyone, Linnet, it would be you."

"I always knew these breasts would come in handy," she said with satisfaction.

- LOL!" 2 comments
02/07/2011 page 257
67.0% ""After all, they were only playing." - Awwww." 2 comments
02/07/2011 page 280
73.0% "When you pull your head out of your ass you better be ready for a damn good grovel. >:|" 1 comment
02/07/2011 page 300
78.0% "

"One morning Nurse Matilda called his name, and he whipped about, thinking it was she.

Mistaking Nurse Matilda's voice for Linnet's was just short of a sign of impending insanity."

" 6 comments
02/07/2011 page 333
87.0% "That last sentence on this page was a killer." 9 comments
02/07/2011 page 348
91.0% "If someone kept calling me a lobster I would kick his ass. Even if I loved him he would have to die." 2 comments
02/07/2011 page 353
92.0% ""Like nothing I ever wanted, and then, there she was."" 2 comments
02/07/2011 page 364
95.0% "I wish we could have gotten more of his pov during the time he's referring to. It would have helped me be less irritated." 5 comments
02/07/2011 page 367
96.0% "Comparing what he did to her to what his dad did to him is retarded. They are not even in the same degree." 3 comments
02/07/2011 page 372
97.0% "There are only 372 pages if someone would like to be a dear and fix it. :)"

Greta is Erikasbuddy OMG neat!!! I soo want to hear what you think about this!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Oh snap!! IT doesn't come out until January.

Catherine I know! I want it now!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Do you know any info about it? I can't seem to find a summary but the title sounds AWESOME! Did you ever watch the TV Show - Beauty and the Beast - with Catherine (oh snap!) and Vincent? I wonder if it's going to be like that. I sooo love that modern fairy tales are popular now :) It make me go squee!

Wicked Incognito Now I think Beauty and the Beast tales are my fave.

Catherine No Greta, I can't find any blurbs for it. Yes, I used to watch that show all the time! LOL.

Catherine April wrote: "I think Beauty and the Beast tales are my fave."

Have you ever read Beast? You might like it if you enjoy that theme.

Greta is Erikasbuddy owwws!! Wonder what it will be? I hope its all RAWR!

Catherine I hope it's at least as entertaining and engaging as A Kiss at Midnight was. That book was so fun I didn't even mind that it wasn't steamy!

Greta is Erikasbuddy NEAT!!

Wicked Incognito Now You know, I haven't read that one yet. I think that is one of the Judith Ivory books that I couldn't find in ebook format. I think it's OOP also. I'll have to add it to my list of books to get used at half.com or somewhere.

message 12: by Catherine (last edited Aug 31, 2010 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine I have it listed at PBS if you use that site. I didn't love the book, but it seems to be a big hit with most people. I liked Sleeping Beauty better.

Wicked Incognito Now I canceled my PBS account when we moved overseas. The whole customs declaration form thingy doesn't work well for the average swapper.

I did read Sleeping Beauty. I liked it a lot, but I have this whole hang up with her rotten tooth. He meets her at a dentist's office, where she needs to get a tooth pulled but ends up not doing it. So, through the whole novel she had an infected tooth! You know her breath would stink and her mouth would not taste fresh and minty!! I know this may be TMI, but I can even detect when my husband is coming down with a sinus infection, but an infected pussy gumline! Ugh. I just couldn't get over thinking of that the whole time.

message 14: by Catherine (last edited Aug 31, 2010 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine I didn't even think about that! What about with it packed with cloves? Wouldn't you not smell it then? Now I'm going to think of gross puss when I reread! LOL.

LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out Oh no! I'm going to pretend you did not just say that, April! I love Sleeping Beauty & to think of James making love to rotten teeth...NO! I refuse. The only other book I've read by Ivory is Angel In a Red Dress & I thought that was pretty damn good too. And I love the cover.

Catherine, you still have those Ivory novels on your shelf?

Wicked Incognito Now well....I suppose the cloves would offset the nastiness....

Let's go with that.

message 17: by Catherine (last edited Aug 31, 2010 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine The only one I have on my shelf by her is Beast. I'm keeping all the rest. Mwahahaha! Actually, what ever happened to Black Silk? Hmmmm... Didn't I list that one? I don't remember mailing it out. I'll have to check again when I get home.

Lethal, you should definitely look for Untie My Heart! I really liked that one.

I've been on the wishlist for her books as Judy Cuevas forever!

Wicked Incognito Now I've read Untie My Heart and Black Silk as well. Untie My Heart could easily be on my all-time favorites list for historical romance. Black Silk was pretty okay too.

I haven't read Angel in a Red Dress yet, but I have it on my TBR pile! I should move it up my list. Jeez...I need to stop buying books.

message 19: by Catherine (last edited Aug 31, 2010 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Black Silk and I didn't really get along. :( I liked Angel in a Red Dress too, although the tone of the 2nd half felt much different from the 1st half. I was so surprised the hero was written that way! But I liked how different it was.

LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out I'll definitely look for UMH, Catherine! I REALLY want to read more of her novels. I just need to find a member who has 2 or more on her shelf. That way, I can get a few & maybe finagle a 2-for-1 deal out of them, using the powers of my beautiful chocolately eyes.

Catherine Judith Ivory books out the butt! Found that member at PBS. They have Untie My Heart, Sleeping Beauty, The Proposition, The Indiscretion, Black Silk, and Beast! Holy crap, if I didn't already have them all I would jump on that right away! Those books are pretty hard to find and expensive if you actually by them from a regular site. I would totally buy credits to get them.

LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out Oops. My router went out for about 5 minutes & I didn't see the last few posts.

I loved how the hero was written in AiaRD, Catherine. Adrien was so deliciously anti-hero in the beginning. I also liked that

****SPOILER****

Christina conceived during the story. I love those plot devices when they're well-written. It makes me feel like the h/h are more connected when they create a life together. Like there's more of a sense of permenence.

message 23: by Catherine (last edited Aug 31, 2010 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine I especially liked how that spoiler added conflict and real issues they needed to work out between them. That hero almost lost her, you know?

LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out Yeah, I know! This was one of the only HR novels that successfully convinced me at the h/h might not have an HEA!

BTW, thanks for the link to the Ivory books. I pm'ed the lady & she's agreed to do a deal with me. Only problem is she wants me to give her my address instead of the usual "I order a book & she sends 2 free" deal that I see going on in the Book Bazaar. Hmmm.

Catherine Well, she'd get your address even if you requested it, right? I don't understand what's different...

LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out I'm "thinking" the difference is I don't have a fallback plan. I'm thinking she wants me to buddy her the credit(s) & if the books never get to me, I don't have a way of covering my ass.

Catherine Oh. Yep, that's not cool. Tell her you'd prefer to do it the other way so there's a record of it. She'll get the credits either way, right?

LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out Yeah. That's what I'm going to do. It would just suck if she ended up not wanting to send me the books my way & I end up missing out on Ivory!

Catherine That would suck! Those books can be hard to find!

Tammy Walton Grant Catherine, I just read this one today -- looking forward to hearing what you thought of it.

Catherine I'll let you know. :) I'm buddy reading it with Katyana right now so we'll be updating frequently.

Catherine Tammy wrote: "Catherine, I just read this one today -- looking forward to hearing what you thought of it."

I just finished it. I loved the beginning but could have used a better ending.

Katyana Yeah. *sigh*

I think my review says pretty much the same thing as yours, lol.

Catherine Another one that we agree on. :D

Guess what! One Night Is Never Enough comes out this month!

Katyana Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!

I pre-ordered, so my lovely friend Amazon should be whisking it to me the moment it is released. :D

Catherine I CANNOT freaking wait!

Katyana Me too! *fingers crossed*

Laura the Highland Hussy love your review. Between yours and Katyana's, I could just copy and paste a few paragraphs from each for my own review :) too bad I have to write one for demonlovers or I'd honestly just link your 2 reviews

Catherine LOL! Let me know when yours is up so I can check it up as well.

Laura the Highland Hussy I guess you two have inspired me. I'm off to write my review

Catherine Good luck!

Katyana Looking forward to reading it!

Laura the Highland Hussy my review is up-sorry it took so long, but I had to find some quotes.

message 44: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Great Review Catherine! I agree with you in most of the sudden conflicts which I felt could have come earlier instead of at the end making it fell bloated and rushed.

"Also, I was really bothered by the way it seemed like Linnet needed to be brought down a peg before she could be with Piers. What was up with that???"

(view spoiler)

Ally72 Super review, Catherine! I will be anxious now to read it!

Catherine Rane wrote: "Great Review Catherine! I agree with you in most of the sudden conflicts which I felt could have come earlier instead of at the end making it fell bloated and rushed.

"Also, I was really bothere..."

I wish it would have been built up up better instead of tossing it in last minute and running with it. If it had felt a bit more natural I probably wouldn't have been quite so irritated when it cropped up.

(view spoiler)

Catherine Ally wrote: "Super review, Catherine! I will be anxious now to read it!"

I hope you enjoy it!

Ally72 Thanks, Catherine...I hope I am not disappointed.

Catherine I hope so too.

message 50: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Catherine wrote: "Rane wrote: "Great Review Catherine! I agree with you in most of the sudden conflicts which I felt could have come earlier instead of at the end making it fell bloated and rushed.

"Also, I was rea..."