UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick's Reviews > When Beauty Tamed the Beast

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James

Just what the doctor ordered!

I’m a big fan of historical romance novels, but admittedly the genre can become a bit tedious due to storylines and characters who are confined to the particular roles and behaviors of their era. I’ve read just about every kind of historical romance, from those of the light and fluffy variety to those that leave my emotions in a tattered mess. Well, I’m happy to say that When Beauty Tamed the Beast struck a perfect balance of both, and was an absolute pleasure to read. It wasn’t an angsty story at all, and I found myself constantly smiling and frequently even laughing out loud at their ridiculous banter. The dialog throughout the book was priceless with such sarcasm and dry humor that I just couldn’t wait for the next confrontation to take place. And while it was a very funny read, my heart ached for both Piers and Linnet and the internal battles they both fought.

At first, I couldn’t put my finger on what it was that was so appealing about our hero, Piers Yelverton, Earl of Marchant. He’s a gruff, offensive, belligerent doctor whose bedside manner could leave one contemplating the upside of death. Add to this that he’s not known for being stunningly handsome and I have to ask myself why I was so drawn to him. His no nonsense approach at telling patients they were going to die seemed so callous, and yet, oddly funny. There was something vaguely familiar about him, but I just couldn’t quite decide what that was. Then one of my Goodreads friends asked me if I recognized the similarities between Piers and Dr. Gregory House of the popular television show, House, who I happen to adore. Of course! Why didn’t I recognize it? Maybe it was because I haven’t watched the last couple seasons of the show because Dr. House, as a character, seemed to move away from the man I had come to adore in the earlier seasons. Piers, on the other hand, is exactly what had me falling in love with Gregory House in the first place.

Miss Linnet Berry Thrynne is a beauty who hasn’t been ruined by it. It’s odd, because she knows she’s beautiful because everyone says she is, but it doesn’t seem to matter much to her. Well, not until she faces the possibility of losing her looks. I really enjoyed her as a heroine, and she’s the perfect match for Piers, who needs someone he can’t trample with his cutting words and offensive manners. She’s strong, independent, and every bit as smart as Dr. House’s counterpart, Dr. Lisa Cuddy. Yes indeed, Piers and Linnet are a perfect match!

Now, before you get all offended that Ms. James might try to secretly copy this popular television show, there’s something you need to know; she didn’t do it secretly at all. There’s an author’s note at the end of the book in which she comes right out and states that the character, Dr. Gregory House and the Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital greatly influenced her story. But all that said, Ms. James did an incredible job of making Piers unique. In fact, maybe he really did exist and Dr. House developed his technique based on Piers’ work! ;)

When Beauty Tamed the Beast is a great second installment to the fairy tale inspired Happily Ever Afters series, but can be read as a stand alone novel as the only connection to the previous books is that they are fairy tale themed. There is no character or plot overlapping. Yes, this was just what the doctor ordered! It was fresh, passionate, funny, sexy as all get-out and an absolute delight to read!
65 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Beauty Tamed the Beast.

06/01/2011 "This is pretty funny. Linnet has a loony family! Those are the best ones to read about!"

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Oh, I love the cover and the title!!!

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Oooh, nice! Is this following the fairy tale?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Yes, this is the next book, the one after A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James. Her stories will all be based on fairy tales, but not connected by characters like an ongoing series.

Katyana Really? OMG I am so excited!!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I know, me too! So each can be read as a standalone, which is awesome.

Steffi I loved this book. It's really super funny! Hope you enjoy it, Dhes.

message 7: by Alycia (new) - added it

Alycia I have this one... let me know if its good Dhes. I love fairy tale themed books. I still need to read the Cinderella one.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Steffi! I've been saving it for a time when I need something humorous, and today's the day! Plus it fits into my Lisa Kleypas Group challenges.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Alycia wrote: "I have this one... let me know if its good Dhes. I love fairy tale themed books. I still need to read the Cinderella one."

Will do, Alycia. I just finished chapter 1. It sounds like it could go either way - funny or angsty. I'm hoping for funny, like Steffi said.

message 10: by Alycia (new) - added it

Alycia Thanks! Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it

Gemma I can't wait for book 3. I rather liked this book. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I'm loving it so far! What witty banter!

Bettie This was the book that me a fan!! She really had a great way to bring these 2 leads to life! I agree with the witty banters between them! Just reading them talk to each other was fun and lively... And naughty;)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I agree, Bettie! And I loved it when Piers first started seeing her as a woman and not just an anatomical female body.

Bettie And how he takes her for early in the morning to swim using as an excused to be with her. I love how he talks about things he's a great hero!

Laura the Highland Hussy I can't wait to see what you think of this one

KatLynne One of my favorites Dhes. Hope you enjoy it too.

message 18: by Tori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tori This is a fun book. I'm not a fan of all of Eloisa James' books, but I've loved both books in this series so far.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I am loving it, KatLynne. I keep laughing. I LOVE the dry humor... this is right up my alley!

Tori, I loved A Kiss at Midnight and was really looking forward to this one, too, but I put off reading it because of mixed reviews. I'm so happy I decided to give it a go.

Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥ I'm looking forward to read it soon. Glad you like the book. She's my fav author.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Nisha wrote: "I'm looking forward to read it soon. Glad you like the book. She's my fav author."

I've only read the first book, A Kiss at Midnight, and now this one.

message 22: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee Do you see the Dr. House resemblance?

Gemma I kind of did.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I hadn't noticed it, Lisarenee.

message 25: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee I haven't watched House in a couple of years. I wonder if that is why it seemed so apparent to me?

Gem H did you read the notes at the end of the book?

I like the feature Goodreads added that let's you know people's rating of the books in the comments. I wonder if I ever posted my review to GR? Must check. I am so behind.

Rachel I'm jealous lol I want this book. I loved the first one. Look forward to your review :)

AgentScully Great review UM!

Laura the Highland Hussy I agree, great review! I didn't enjoy the ending very much, but I'm glad you loved it :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thank you, Scully! Sometimes a book is exactly what you need, exactly when you need it, and this one was that for me!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Laurie. Yeah, for me, this was winner from the first page to last.

Fiona Goodman Great review Dhes! It my favorite book she has written so far and I have read a lot of them!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thank you, Fiona! This is only my 3rd EJ read, and all three are from this series. I adore these books and can't wait for the next!

Fiona Goodman Do you belong to the Eloisa James/Julia Quinn club?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Is there an official club? I haven't heard of it.

Fiona Goodman Yes. It is called 'Fans of Eloisa James and Julia Quinn'

Pretty easy to remember huh (LOL)!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick LOL!! Where is it? Is it a Goodreads Group?

Fiona Goodman Yesss......:)))))

~E~ Riverina Romantics I looked at this one the other day but didn't put it on my tbr list because of the cover - I don't like it at all.

But I will now because of your review :)

Gemma NEVER judge a book by its cover!

I was pretty much the same with regards to the american covers for EJ. The UK ones are a bit more intresting, at least for her duchess series.

I can't wait to read book three either. I keep checking to see when its up for pre-order! I'm buying the US cover just so the all match. (yeah a bit OCD, but I do try!)

@Lisarnee-Yup I read the notes at the back. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Jodie, I'm glad my review has encouraged you to read this. Yeah, the outside cover is kind of odd, but the stepback is hot, so look at that instead of the cover! LOL

Shawna Another wonderful review, Dhes! I still need to read this one. It sounds like I might need to bump it up the TBR a bit.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Shawna, thank you so much! I really enjoyed this book and I think you would, too. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

Fiona Goodman Shawna wrote: "Another wonderful review, Dhes! I still need to read this one. It sounds like I might need to bump it up the TBR a bit."

It's a really great book Shawna!

message 44: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Glad to hear you liked this one. I've got it sitting on my shelf :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Kate (Literary Explorations) wrote: "Glad to hear you liked this one. I've got it sitting on my shelf :)"

Now you just need to pick it up, dust it off and read it! LOL! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Lisa Kay Great review, Dhes!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thank you, Miss Lisa!

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Love your review, Dhes!

The problem with Hugh Laurie is that I always remember him as Bertie Wooster in the TV adaptations of P G Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Carol!! I never saw Jeeves and Wooster, fortunately! LOL!!

Carolyn F. Great review Dhestiny! I just finished it and have about 15 tissues to throw away.

« previous 1