Jennifer's Reviews > Blameless

Blameless by Gail Carriger

Sep 12, 10

bookshelves: historical, paranormal, vampires
Read from September 11 to 12, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** *whew* I am so glad I waited until I had book three to begin book two! It saved me a lot of worrying.

This series has quickly become one of my favorites. Ms. Carriger crafts a delightful world and fills it with the most charming characters. Alexia Maccon is one of the best female leads I've read in a long, long, time. I absolutely adore her, as well as her and Conall together.

Now...as for this book. I am so glad the rift between Conall and Alexia was repaired! I was hoping it wasn't going to drag out over the next couple of books, especially since the next book doesn't come out until July of next year. One tiny thing, though...I don't think that Conall groveled quite enough. He treated Alexia absolutely horridly at the end of the previous book, and well, I don't know. Maybe it's just me. But overall, YAY!!!

I'd also forgotten how absolutely terrible Alexia's family was. Thankfully we were spared of them for the bulk of the book. It's also nice to see that Ivy wasn't quite as annoying this books as she was the last, and I'm glad to see that her and Tunstall have settled into a happily married life.

I was thrilled to see Professor Lyall having a larger role in this book. I've been most curious about him, so I was glad to be able to see more of him. The same goes for the unflappable Floote. I am dying to know more about his past, but he's being quite stubbornly vague!

I actually teared up at two points during this book. The first was when Alexia read Conall's retraction via the newspaper clipping, and the second when Lord Akeldama and Biffy were reunited.

Lastly, I am most thankful that there was not another cliffhanger ending. I really do not like those. Or, at least what I'd consider a major cliffhanger. There's still things we need to learn, like the full story of Alexia's father.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blameless.

09/11/2010 page 1
09/11/2010 page 86
23.0% "I'm trying to force myself not to rush through this. I'm so anxious as to what happens."
09/11/2010 page 201
54.0% "So much for not rushing through it..."
09/12/2010 page 374
100.0% "Review to come...need sleep now."
show 3 hidden updates…