Steve Van Slyke's Reviews > Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters

Evolution by Donald R. Prothero

Oct 04, 10

bookshelves: evolution, geology, science, skepticism
Read from August 07 to September 03, 2012

It's my own fault that I did not read the book description or the other reviews here closer. I didn't get the impression from the book description that so much of it would be devoted to countering the fallacious arguments of the creationist-ID crowd. Not expecting that, and not one needing to be convinced, I was a little annoyed at all the time and ink spent describing and shooting down the creationist positions. For those who need a little more convincing, or who regularly debate creationists, those parts of the book would be quite valuable. It is for these reasons that I gave the book four rather than five stars.

Nevertheless, it does a good job of describing most of the evolutionary pathways from simple bacteria to various megafauna including dinosaurs, birds, whales, and humans. My only other regret that once he takes the reader on to land with the “amphibians,” that he forgets plants and insects, but I understand that author's have to make choices because of marketing constraints. His frequent references to systematics and cladistics made me want to read a book specifically on that topic.

So, again, if you are looking for a book on evolution that specifically takes on the creationist and Intelligent Design community, you could do no better than to start here.

NOTE TO KINDLE READERS: GoodReads does not at the time of this writing show the availability of the Kindle edition, which is what I read. If I had to do it again I would buy the hardback. There are many cladograms and other illustrations, including color plates. Some these "zoomed" well enough to appreciate while others did not and required the use of a magnifying glass. Also, the Kindle version was expensive, close to $15.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution.