George's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

4219638
Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: favorite-fantasy
Read from July 12 to August 09, 2011 — I own a copy

Another excellent addition to the A Song of Ice and Fire saga. Like A Feast for Crows this novel lacked a lot of the action that was in the others. But it set the stage for what appears to be a ton of action in the next novels. The plots were as entwined and twisty as usual, very little in the novel was predictable, and the characters are very multi-dimensional. Even the 'evil' characters draw some sympathy as you read about their exploits, plights, and intrigues.

From a technical standpoint though, I was a bit disappointed in this book. For a novel that took 11 years to write it was upsetting to come across various typos and proofreading glitches. After 11 years it wouldn't have hurt to have a few people take an extra few weeks to find any misspellings and other errors. There weren't many, but the few that were there stood out like sore thumbs.

Now, if Martin can get back on track with another novel in less than 3 years I'll be very happy. He says there will be 2 more books (7 total), but I suspect there will be 4 more, for a nice trilogy of trilogies... Here's hoping that we'll get more ASoIaF real soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.

07/12/2011 page 16
2.0% "=)"
07/21/2011 page 276
27.0% "Still plugging away... Enjoying it immensely so far!"
show 5 hidden updates…