xbmbgrl's Reviews > My Summer of Wes

My Summer of Wes by Missy Welsh

Mar 20, 11

"My Summer of Wes" is a great story. I completely enjoyed it. From the first pages where we meet poor tortured and deluded Mal to the slow friendship/romance that blooms between Mal and Wes I was hooked.

Mal has been persecuted, tormented and teased by bullies for so long that his denials to them that he isn’t gay is also an inbred denial to himself of the same thing. He has spent so much time fighting against it that he hasn’t spent any time considering what his sexual orientation might really be. He is such an outcast that he has never really been faced with making a choice one way or the other.

Wes is a confident, slightly older boy that has moved into the neighborhood. He takes one look at cute, nerdy, Mal and falls hard. Mal is fascinated with anyone that has that much self esteem, not to mention charisma. Soon, all that charisma is focused on Mal and he begins to rethink his denials.

As Mal and Wes get to know each other, Mal must find his true identity. Either it’s with Wes as the best, best friend ever ... or as something else all together.

I found both characters to be likable, sympathetic, realistic and endearing. Secondary characters also rounded out the book instead of taking it over.

As a debut novel, I am not sure how the author could have improved this effort. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a well plotted story with very engaging characters.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Summer of Wes.

message 1: by Missy (new) - added it

Missy Welsh Thanks for the review both here and at Rainbow Reviews!