Gorfo's Reviews > The Road from Coorain

bookshelves: non-fiction, coming-to-america
Recommended to Gorfo by: school
Recommended for: australians
Read from August 29 to September 07, 2010

This book was as dry as the Australian outback at first. Description after description of the beauty of the pretty much lifeless desert is not entertaining! It's also my second memoir withhin the space of a few weeks which is a fantastic leap for a person who's now officially read only seven non-fiction books in their life!

Eventually the book got better though taking a very well traveled road of rights for women, which is very important but also just plain predictable! The WHOLE book was painfully predictable. Jill lived a pretty empty life and I realized what was missing that made the first half of the book almost unbearable. FRIENDS! She was missing friends, she was a solitary child with not a single friend! What a lonely and solem existance!

The brand of information offered however was pretty much useless, I doubt I will ever need to know how to prepare and breed sheep for wooling. The description in this aspect of the book certainly wasn't lac,ing unfortunately and I found myself dozing off repeatedly, with sheep dancing around in my head!

Many others hated this book but I liked it, it's not a book that could really evoke strong feelings within me and if I hadn't needed to read it for school I would really NEVER have even looked twice at it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road from Coorain.

08/29/2010 page 4
2.0% "Just started this book and I'm bored out of my mind already, this is a required reading book and probably the only reason I'll ever pick up a book like this. But I cant fight the man"
09/02/2010 page 50
20.0% "Gasp? She was 7 before she laid eyes on anchor female child!?!?"
09/02/2010 page 121
47.0% "Of course this happened. It always does when you like somebody. Yes I'm talking about the book still."
09/07/2010 page 256
100.0% "Turned into a really good book"