Anne Holly's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Jun 16, 14

Read from June 14 to 16, 2014, read count: 5

The first time I attempted to read Wuthering Heights, I was in highschool, and I have no recollection of it. The second time, when I was in first year university, I read it from cover to cover and I hated it, utterly. This was largely due to English 101, I admit, but also likely because I was expecting a romance (Bronte, heh) instead of... whatever this thing is. The book then spent about ten years on my shelf; for some reason, I packed it and carried it through three or four moves. Then, I tried it again - this time, not expecting romance - and, somehow, it started to work for me. The fourth time, it worked for me a bit better. Now, the fifth reading, I have to confess, I believe Wuthering Heights now has grown on me - either that, or more world weary, I can appreciate it more fully than I could at 18 - and I can now say I see why this is still read today.

Still a bit more melodramatic than I like, what with all that howling on the moors and all, the book works not as a romance, but as a grim character study. And now, with a broader mind, I can see how you can hate Healthcliff, yet still pity him, which was something that kind of broke my brain all those years ago.

So, not a romance, but a grim, melodramatic gothic tale of revenge, hardness, and betrayal - not all perpetrated by Healthcliff. A story of trees twisted by bitter winds, as they say, and something I'm more in a position to consider more deeply now than I could before.

Still not my favourite, but a novel I can now appreciate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.