Celia Powell's Reviews > A Morbid Taste for Bones

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters

May 14, 08

bookshelves: mystery, historical-fiction
Read in May, 2008

Brother Cadfael, a rather cynical middle aged monk with a soldier's past, sets out with other members of his monastery to Wales to retrieve the bones of a saint. The inhabitants of the village where the saint is buried are not particularly pleased by this turn of events, and the ensuing arguments result in a murder. Cadfael is bothered by the placement of the body, and steps in to solve the crime (without upsetting the Prior, of course).

This was such a delightful book - I don't know why I haven't picked up any of this series before. Brother Cadfael is a wonderful character, taking great pleasure in the peace and quiet of his herb garden. Yet because of his past, he has a great knowledge of human nature, and a pleasantly cynical turn of mind. The historical aspects of this novel seem (to me who doesn't know much about the Middle Ages) very accurate, and I particularly like the language and dialogue - it fits in marvelously well with the setting. I do love it when I really enjoy a book that's the start of a long series - the feeling of much reading pleasure stretching out into the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Morbid Taste for Bones.