Shawn's Reviews > The White Boy Shuffle

The White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty

Aug 28, 2010

bookshelves: to-read

This has been on my "Currently Reading" list since I endeavored to make it my current read a month or so ago. I've not decided, yet, whether I will give up trying to get into this or not. My initial feeling as that this novel suffers from what I call "The Maya Angelou/Spike Lee Syndrome" -- a convoluted, unintelligible, confusing piece of work that is in reality crap (for lack of a better word), but critics and others have deemed it "genius" and are too afraid to be counted among the dissenting voices, or classified "racist" for saying that a minority author is nothing more than hype.

I may decide to carry on the quest in the months ahead and be proven, I can only hope, wrong..., at which time I will gladly come back to this site and graciously admit error. Until then, there are so many books I am dying to delve into, I can hardly justify slogging through one that gives every indication of being an effort worthy of Spike himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Boy Shuffle.

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Are you going back to this, or still trying to pick a new book?

message 2: by Shawn (new) - added it

Shawn Hi, Sweetie. I'm still trying to pick a new title. I'm leaning toward "Scoop", by Evelyn Waugh. I'm inclined to guess that you will be one of the first to know when I finally do!