Heather Hamilton's Reviews > The Summerhouse

The Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux

Sep 11, 10

bookshelves: year-2010
Read from August 28 to September 11, 2010

I loved this novel that entertains the question, "If you could go back in time and change something, would you?" It exceeded my expectations, although I'm not sure I really had any.

Three 20-year-old women--young, ambitious, and ready to take on the world--spend a short afternoon together in a New York DMV. Fast forward twenty years to a reunion of the girls, and we learn that each has had an unfortunate chain of events in their lives, leaving them wanting. They visit Madame Zoya, not-a-psychic-but-much-more, and she offers a 3-week trip back to the time period of their choice to do over. Even better, when they return, they have a choice: take the new life or keep the old. And another choice, to remember or not what they have left behind.

Categorized as a romance at the library, I intended it to be a light read. But it's not typical romantic fare. I would be hard-pressed to even call it a romance, that's just what Deveraux is known for. Because of the time-travel aspect, it's closer to fantasy for me.

The beginning was a little slow, but it picked up speed quickly. I was especially impressed with Deveraux's ability to weave three narratives and different time periods without confusing overlap or repetition. It really does make you consider your own life, and what choices you might make given this same opportunity. Amazingly, it still comes across as light and fun reading. Highly recommend it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summerhouse.