Barbra's Reviews > Reluctant Soldier, Reluctant Saint

Reluctant Soldier, Reluctant Saint by Tom Roulstone

Sep 06, 10

bookshelves: books-i-won, historical, inspirational, 2010-reads
Read in September, 2010

I won this book from Goodreads in August 2010. I am excited to get started reading as it takes place during the period in history that I love reading about. Our nation was experiencing birthing pains like never before and someone who was new to our country, yet fighting amongst people that he knows nothing about was more than an adventure.

James McCorkle was a simple man that trouble seemed to find. From the time he left Ireland and even after he disembarked the ship he had one bad mishap after another. He was forced to enlist in an army that he nothing of and became a reluctant soldier.

When the soldiers were ordered to clear Mormans from the lands in Utah, he knew he could never kill one of them. The more of them he knew, the more he saw that they were folks just like himself with similar beliefs in God. He then became a reluctant saint and was baptized into the Morman faith.

He found his love in Allie Bingham, the daughter of a Morman bishop. He found his true calling by following his faith. It was a good read and many thanks to Tom Roulstone for sharing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reluctant Soldier, Reluctant Saint.