Morgan's Reviews > Friday

Friday by Robert A. Heinlein

Sep 19, 10

Read from August 30 to September 15, 2010

Heinlein's Friday has a similar tone to Stranger in a Strange Land. His underlying theme of peace and love and against the military-industrial complex and totalitarian states is present in this book. A dystopian future in which the public is subject to constant surveillance and at the mercy of the government's whims is where we find our protagonist, Friday. Friday's status as an AP (artificial person) is especially interesting to think about in our modern age of IVF, surrogates and gene therapy. Another prevalent theme in this novel is that of prejudice. Like many science fiction novels the author calls into question what it means to be human. Friday's AP status is something that she is ashamed of and she must learn to overcome her conditioning teaching her that she is a second class citizen not privileged to the same rights as humans. I'm unsure about how I feel about the ending. Heinlein is pessimistic about the earth but has hope that humanity will flourish elsewhere. I do find it ironic who Friday ends up marrying but I suppose stranger things have happened. All in all I'd say this book is good but its language is a bit dated and hokey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday.