Robin's Reviews > Super Sad True Love Story

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Oct 09, 13

bookshelves: stuyvesant-high-school-authors, for-grown-ups, cynical
Read from August 28 to September 04, 2010

The writing immediately drew me in, but the main character is nothing special, just another old dude with a crush on a pretty girl. Not sure I can care enough about him to enjoy the world Shteyngart has created.

It's supposed to be funny, but it isn't. This may not be the author's fault -- It's his vision of the future that's so close to real. No one pays attention to anything but personal finance and sex appeal. (Sex itself is not that great -- It's all about how one is perceived.) It's just so sad and grotesque -- Gender roles have dribbled backwards a few decades, multi-merged corporations are in charge of everything and shopping is very important. If we are to believe Shteyngart, all Americans accept this willingly.

That said, it is a relief to know that, in the distressing & shallow credit-driven world Shteyngart has imagined, the sporting goods store where I worked during high school is still in operation.

What can I say about this book that's nice? The cover art is attractive -- It looks nice on the new book rack.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Sad True Love Story.