Kimm's Reviews > Love and Scandal

Love and Scandal by Donna Lea Simpson

Oct 20, 10

Read in August, 2010

I didn’t take to Love and Scandal as much as I would have liked to. There were times when I was really liked it, then times when I didn’t like it so much. To be honest, I can’t say why exactly. My favorite pieces in the book had to do with the literary connections. Collette is a writer. She has publishers. She meets other figures in the literary world. She has inked stained fingers. She’s an independent woman. I love those parts about her.

What I did not care for was a few of the book’s supporting characters: Collette’s childhood friend, Henny and her husband, Herbert, Mr. Proctor and Collette’s publishers. They irritated me to no end. I know they were sort of meant to—but I’m afraid that I’ve let them interfere with my enjoyment of the story.

Jameson, or Jamie as Collette knows him, I did like. He’s a flawed character. I thought him a bit selfish to allow people to believe he was the author of a book that Collette wrote; however, I give him a pass when I think about how much he really wished that he had been the author.

Finally, although I wasn’t entirely caught up in the book, I did appreciate Simpson’s writing style. I think I’d certainly give her another shot—perhaps a different set of characters would appeal more to me. Small Note: There are a few racy scenes, just think of this as an advisement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Scandal.