A's Reviews > American Gods

F 50x66
Aug 28, 2010

it was ok
Read from August 28 to September 13, 2010

I so want to like Gaiman's books, but once again, I just couldn't get into this one. The premise (Gods of all religions are bopping around America, having been brought to the country by immigration) is an interesting one, and certainly something I'd love to talk to Mr. Gaiman about. However, the hero is incredibly dull and has no agency, making it difficult to actually care about what's going on in the book. The side characters are interesting, but not nearly fleshed out enough. The plot feels contrived at points, like the characters are being moved from point A to point B just because Gaiman needs the story to move, not because it makes sense for the characters to do. The climax moves far too fast and seems more like an afterthought then an actual climax.

American Gods is not a terrible book, but it's not a fantastic book, either. It suffers from mediocrity and a lot of wasted potential. An interesting read if you know a lot about mythology, though (especially Norse and Egyptian) as it does make you think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.