FlibBityFLooB's Reviews > Rebellious Rake, Innocent Governess

Rebellious Rake, Innocent Governess by Elizabeth Beacon

This book was such an exercise in frustration to me. I was constantly distracted by the writing style of the author to the point that it completely derailed my enjoyment of the book.

The author seemed like she had a thesaurus open and was using it with abandon in every paragraph. In particular, the author had a style of using a different emotive verb for character's speech followed by an adverb describing a different manner of speaking to the point it was infuriating and crazy distracting!

This is only from a few pages:
quipped lightly / grated dangerously / ordered rudely / asked mildly / echoed contemplatively / dismissed tartly / parried crossly / observed cooly / informed grumpily / said sharply / replied impulsively / murmurred idiotically ... you get the picture.

The style so overshadowed the content of the book that I could not find any enjoyment at all :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebellious Rake, Innocent Governess.

Laura the Highland Hussy Holy crap! not for me, thanks for taking one for the team!

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Classic purple prose no-no, LOL. No editor here?

FlibBityFLooB Didn't see proof of an editor. I thought maybe it was just me at first... but on closer examination I think not. Icky!!!!