faeriemyst's Reviews > Night of the Living Trekkies

Night of the Living Trekkies by Kevin David Anderson

Oct 03, 2010

bookshelves: monster-mash-up, zombies-mmm-brains, sci-fi, star-trek, amazon-vine, own
Recommended for: Trekkies or Trekkers who like zombies and pulp
Read from September 30 to October 02, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Not as imaginative or funny as I'd hoped, Night of the Living Trekkies was still a fun read, some may even call it a brainless read. As far as zombie stories go, this doesn't cover any new territory, but that's where Star Trek helps the book out. Chock full of references, storyline parallels, and chapters named after episodes, it's clear this is devoted to Star Trek fans, whether they be Trekkies or Trekkers. The authors clearly know what they're writing about and lovingly poke fun at Star Trek and its fans. There's even some Star Wars love thrown in for good measure, and not with the usual rivalry between the two either.

In order to fully enjoy this book, I think it is essential that readers have a passable knowledge of the Star Trek universe, like zombies, and appreciate pulp, or at least have two of those three; otherwise, I can't imagine this would appeal to anyone outside of those factors. Overall, I had a good time with Night of the Living Trekkies, there were moments that made me laugh-out-loud (I especially liked the tale of the "Red Shirts") and though it's predictable, the story was well-told, and at around 250 pages, it's a very easy read. Readers could do worse than to pick up this book; what you see on the awesome cover is pretty much what you get on the inside: pure, pulpy entertainment that's well-envisioned and could easily be made into a movie.
3.5 Warp Speed

This has one of the best trailers I've ever seen, certainly the best book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyO2k-...
Not part of the book at all but definitely goes along with it: http://molitorious.blogspot.com/2009/...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of the Living Trekkies.

message 1: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Oh you are courageous.

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) I saw this when it came up in one of those lists, "If you like (this), you'll love (these)..." and it piqued my curiosity. I'm certainly no Trekker, don't even qualify as a Trekkie, but I still would like to read this.

faeriemyst Since there's no term for someone who likes ST but isn't close to being a Trekkie or Trekker, I really didn't know how to add that into my review without it being too awkward. :D I'm neither of those either but know enough about the universe that I got a good percentage of the references (definitely not all of them though), which mostly featured TOS and TNG more than the others. You probably know enough, I just can't fathom anyone who hasn't at least seen a few episodes of ST liking, or getting, the book much.

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) I'm not sure there is a term for someone like that. Trekkie Lite maybe? ;D That's what I figured when I saw the book: I know enough that I'll probably get most of the references, enough to enjoy the book, I'm sure. I would think this book is probably a hit at ST conventions and the like.

faeriemyst Trekster? Trekentice, Trekkie-in-training, Trekling? I kinda like Trekling myself. :D Most likely. Yeah, the authors should have a table set up at conventions in the future (the near future that is).

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) Ooh, I like Trekling, too. I'm a *lifting my chin with pride* Trekling! ;D Hey, maybe it'll catch on and become the next big thing in the ST universe...you never know. ;P

faeriemyst What's your last sentence in response to? The authors at conventions or Trekling?

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) Sorry, should've clarified. I was talking about Trekling. :)

faeriemyst Oh, alrighty then. :) We must get the word out! :D

Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) Yes, we must! The bird's the word- no, wait, wrong brain frequency. Trekling's the word! %D

faeriemyst Darn tootin'! :D