Anoolka's Reviews > Wings

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Aug 28, 10

bookshelves: faery, series, urban-fantasy, young-adult
Read from August 25 to 27, 2010

Entertaining enough. Fast read. Characters weren't annoying. I'm not sure why I didn't like it more. I'm giving it only 3 stars and I think it's mostly because it's a rather fast read. The characters aren't too complicated or deeply developed, the plot moves fast and isn't too complicated, all the conflicts are also resolved rather fast (both the main conflict - with the bad guys and the smaller conflicts - David's acceptance of what Laurel is, in the end also Laurel's parents acceptance).

I like the twist about the faeries. It was well thought out and original. I generally liked all the main characters. The interactions Laurel has with both of her love interests are well written and believable. It doesn't paint her in a bad light, which is sometimes the case for heroines in the 'obligatory' (for the genre) triangles like this.
I wish the book was a little more fleshed out. It reads like its on the younger side of YA.

ETA 1.2012: There's a bit of a conflict between how this book read like a fairytale - with the simplification of ugly=bad/beautiful=good, with how unrealistic Laurel's diet is - or rather how unlikely it is that her parents didn't notice it was not normal/unhealthy, and on the other side we have the attempt to portray what Laurel is in some scientific terms, with applying microscope testing etc. So it leaves the reader (or me, at least) a little confused as what it wants to be. Should I give it leeway for not being realistic enough, for having skeevy views on diet and beauty? accept it as fairytale...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings.