Warren Sibley's Reviews > The Power and the Glory

The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene

Jan 16, 2008

bookshelves: hannah-is-making-me, classic-lit
Read in January, 2008

Another wonderfully written book. For me, I must read it again. I am sure that it merits more than 4 stars, I just need a re-read. I am completely unworthy to give a helpful review of this book

Set in a Mexican state that outlaws the Church (seems to be set in early 1900's). In outlawing the church, the State condemns to death all priests. The last one is the protagonist of this work, the "Whiskey Priest".

In seeming confirmation of the State's reasons for outlawing the church, the priest is an embodiment of corruption. He appears more in search of good wine or brandy than a hasty exit. In his disjointed retreat from his pursuers, he confronts his sin(s).

There is much that could be said. I will close with these vexing issues: 1) knowing what I do of Goldsworthy (not a Christian), I am confounded by his treatment of sin, redemption, guilt, the guilty, sinners, the righteous, they were spot on and troubling. 2) In such a short book, I found myself completely lost at times, yet I couldn't stop reading. 3) what was truly the priest's destination? 4) what was going w/ the ending? I am sure I just missed something...

That's all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power and the Glory.