Michael's Reviews > The Long Good-bye

The Long Good-bye by Raymond Chandler

Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: mystery, crime, hard-boiled, cwas-top-100-crime-novels, classics, mwas-top-100-crime-novels, detective, 1950s, pulp
Read from July 04 to August 24, 2011

Raymond Chandler’s The Long Goodbye is different to all his other Philip Marlowe books; it’s twice as long, semi autobiographical and it’s a platform for social criticism. While people say this book was never on the same level as The Big Sleep or Farewell, My Lovely, Chandler (and other critics) considers it his best work even though he was going through a lot of agony writing it with his wife was terminally ill and the alcoholism he was suffering.

In the book Marlowe forges an unhealthy friendship with a drunk, which lands him in a situation he could have avoided, if he wasn’t loyalty to his friends. Which leads him into a whole lot of situations that could have been avoided; but this does make for an interesting and unique story. The dialog and the situation make this book possibly the best Marlowe book written (in my opinion). It’s tight and well planned, the story is a lot less complexity, but more socially relevant.

I love this character and I’m sad to be almost at the end of all the Marlowe books, but this one will stand out more than the others for the depth and biographical nature. Don’t expect this book to be the same as all the other Hard-Boiled novels Raymond Chandler wrote, this is definitely unique.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Good-bye.

07/04/2011 page 20