Amanda's Reviews > Immortal Beloved

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan

May 14, 11

bookshelves: inspirational, loved-it, amazing
Read from May 13 to 14, 2011

A journey to self-discovery is what most of us need these days, especially those who have lost their way. Nastasya (Nasty) is a character who holds on to numerous dark demons of her past and basically, drinks, drugs and parties her way to the numbness of her soul.

I loved Nasty as a character. She was not perfect, no, but she knew when enough was enough and she knew the right time to seek help. Her personality was realistic, not agreeable or pretentious to anything around her. There were times where she felt she could no longer go on, but she was smart enough to look at the bigger picture and persevered on, which I could really respect.

What's wonderful about this novel is Nasty's journey to discovering herself and her contentment in life. The story was lined with inspirational messages that shows that in depths of darkness, there are always better options and hope. I also enjoyed the fact that the story was bold in terms of a YA novel. Don't get me wrong, it certainly did not have any steamy scenes but the language and scenes were certainly daring at times.

Romance and mystery take a backseat in this story as it's more about Nasty's life. What I did not really fancy was that the story dragged in certain aspects, but it never hindered my interest in Nasty's journey. Also, I could not feel or comprehend Nasty and Reyn's romance and there really is no climax to the story and the ending sort of fell short. It wasn't even much of a cliffhanger or an ending; it just felt like the end of a chapter.

Nevertheless, I recommend this book to everyone. It is definitely one of my top picks of the year!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal Beloved.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Cate Tiernan
“Being good is something that one must choose over and over again, every day, throughout the day, for the rest of one’s life.”
Cate Tiernan, Immortal Beloved