Kate's Reviews > Dead in the Family

Nov 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, age-adult, vampires
Read from November 12 to 14, 2010

The theme is family runs throughout the newest True Blood book. Sookie is recovering from being attacked by fairies and the death of her fairy cousin when her roommate Amelia also moves out. Her cousin Claude appears needing a place to stay, and Sookie is surprised that he's not so much of a jerk as he used to be. Jason has moved on from Crystal's death and is dating again and acting like a proper brother to Sookie. Bill is also recovering from injuries during the fairy war, and finds that connecting with some of his own family members (both vampire and non-vampire) helps. Eric's "family" also makes an appearance: his maker and a new protege, who Sookie can sense through her blood bond with Eric. Sookie baby-sits for her little cousin Hunter, who also has the telepathic gift. Tara is in a family way. Even Sam has a little family drama going on after he and his mother went public as shifters.

With so much family drama, Sookie hardly has time to deal with the tracks of two fairiesthe and two bodies found on her property, one by the Weres and one by a vampire tracker, although when someone tries to frame Sookie for the murder, she uses all the supernatural resources at hand to discover the murderer.

I enjoyed this story, although there were moments when I was confused by events from the television series that did or did not happen in the books. Many characters returned who hadn't been around in a while, and Eric and Sookie's relationship is tested and blooms. I thought Eric's maker's new protege was an interesting character, and I am interested to see where Bill's new life goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead in the Family.