Sonya Clark's Reviews > Song of Seduction

Song of Seduction by Carrie Lofty

Aug 27, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance

Song of Seduction caught my eye for a couple of reasons. One, it's an unusual setting for a genre (historical romance) that's usually overflowing with Regency-era minor royalty and kilt-clad Highlanders. Two, it's about music.

Arie is a composer and musician who is harboring a secret that is tearing him apart. Tilda is a gifted violinist who gave up music to marry and live a quiet life at odds with the scandal of her parent's marriage. Now widowed, she meets her idol Arie De Voss and … finds him to be an intolerable jerk. Well, of course. Rock stars didn't invent being rock stars, you know. What Arie finds in Tilda is the muse he's been missing, and soon he's willing to do whatever she requires in order to continue their music lessons. Tilda's torn between wanting to maintain her respectable existence, and loving how alive she feels with Arie and when playing the violin.

There's a saying that goes, "writing about music is like dancing about architecture". I have loved music all my life. One of my lifelong goals as a writer is to translate that love into prose and a story that dances about architecture. I don't know if that was Carrie Lofty's goal when she set about writing Song of Seduction, but she certainly did it. This has got some of the most beautiful passages I've ever read describing music. It's also one of the most passionate romances I've read. Music and the passion of a love affair are two nebulous, mystical experiences that are so difficult to put into something as mundane as mere words. Ms. Lofty elevates "mere words" to the heights of those outsized emotions, and Song of Seduction is now one of my all-time favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of Seduction.