Kaethe's Reviews > How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous

How They Croaked by Georgia Bragg

2011 October 4

One of the things usually left out of children's books is dying. Not death, characters are dead all the time, but the miserable, painful, agonizing bit of dying is usually glossed over. But kids like the gross, the agonizing, the unbelievable "who thought that was a good idea?" craziness of other times and cultures. Bragg has written a really entertaining book that manages to give the reader a look at what was laughably called "medicine", a little of the business of ruling countries, some science, some adventure, all rolled up into a big old ball of "that's awful."

A good book for reluctant readers, because of the way it's broken into short sections with even shorter sidebars at the end of each section, as well as for the morbidly curious. I read much of it aloud to Natasha, with her selecting people at random. Then she finished up on her own. Then Veronica read it. Now, finally, I've read it straight through. My only complaint with the whole thing was that she waits until the end of the section on Napoleon to tell the reader that really, he wasn't short for his time (5'7"), although admittedly, he wasn't unusually tall like, say, George Washington (6'3").

Fun for the whole family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How They Croaked.

10/03/2011 page 58
30.0% "I wasn't in a reading mood this weekend, but I discovered that this is exactly the right book for when you're grumpy with no good reason, what Holly Golightly calls the "mean reds". Shadenfreudalicious!" 2 comments
05/18/2013 marked as: currently-reading