Heather's Reviews > Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane by Suzanne Collins

Feb 12, 12

Read in July, 2011

Gregor escapes the Underland only to have to return a few months later. This time his baby sister is kidnapped in order to lure Gregor back. The rats threaten to take over the Underland. and when they do Regalia and all those Gregor cares for will vanish. The only way to stop this outcome is to defeat the Bane.

I was very disappointed with this second installment of the Gregor series. Collins began the book by letting her characters off too easy. Gregor had disappeared for weeks with his baby sister in the first book leaving his mother frantic and the entire city searching for him. When Gregor returns safely with his baby sister, he brings with him his father, who has been missing for a couple years. This is how the last book ends. To begin this second book, Collins simply allows Gregor to spin a weak, unbelievable lie that all who were looking for him believe. Talk about some serious eye-rolling.

My other big issue with this book is the gruesome nature of it compared to the last. This time around Gregor is sent on a mission to kill the bane. It just feels a bit too dark and mature for the 8-12 age group the first book fit into. This novel is full of graphic descriptions of blood and guts, completely nightmare inducing.

Although I had some issues with book 2, my son still enjoyed it. There were several times he was laughing out loud due to the antics of Gregor or Ares, his bat. And though the violence left me a bit squeamish he seemed to take it fairly well, although I did wake a few morning with him in my bed. So perhaps I am being too harsh. It just wasn't what I expected. If I were reading this series by myself, this one would have been the end for me but since my son has fallen for quirky Gregor we have continued on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane.