Sheila's Reviews > A Drink Before the War

2039269
Aug 27, 2010

bookshelves: cultural, current_issues, suspense
Read in August, 2010

My husband loved A drink before the war, by Dennis LeHane. He likes mysteries, gritty inner-city tales, crime fiction with clever misdirection and intriguing characters, and this book has it all. It also has fast-paced writing, a fascinating first-person narrator, incisive point of view, and a realism that pulls the reader straight in from first page to the last. I’d delayed reading because I feared the novel might just be another long police procedural, but now I’ve read one I’ll certainly hope to read all of LeHane’s Kenzie and Gennaro books.

Kenzie grew up in Boston. He has a backstory with a violent father that’s quietly hinted at but only very slowly revealed, reflecting his own desire not to dwell on it. Another backstory involves Kenzie’s feelings for Gennaro who works with him. But Gennaro is married, with problems all her own that Kenzie’s not allowed to solve for her. Their relationship is fun. Their dialog is superb. Their concern for each other is naturally down-played and powerfully real. The two of them would carry the reader even if the story weren’t so very intriguing. With a clever plot as well, politics, people, race, and larger than life figures that somehow fit the scenery perfectly, this book is definitely a winner. I can’t read the next one yet because my to-read list is simply too long. But I’m looking forward to it and I know I’ll enjoy it. LeHane now joins that select list of authors that my husband and I both love, and his characters join that group of imaginary people that we talk about while riding in the car.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Drink Before the War.