Lynne's Reviews > What We Have: A Memoir

What We Have by Amy Boesky

Sep 17, 10

bookshelves: memoir
Read in September, 2010

About: All of the women in the author's family have died before the age of 45 from cancer. She and her two sisters grew up knowing they were in a race against the clock...they would have to hurry, get married and have children and decide whether or not to have elective surgery in order to have a chance at life.

Overall: Loved it!

Liked: Everything.

I know, another sad someone-gets-cancer-and-dies book. But it's so much more than that. If you can handle - and felt a connection to - Still Alice, about Alzheimer's, you've got to read this. I gave it 5 stars not because of the story itself but because of the connection I felt to it. Isn't that what reading's all about? :) Amy Boesky's writing was engaging and real and I cannot wait to read more of her work.

The relationship Amy and her sisters had with each other and their mom reminds me so much of my family...the way they'd get miffed if one of the sisters found out something before the others. "Why didn't she call ME first?" Also, the way their mom kept things about her illness from the girls to protect them is exactly what my mom would do. And how the sisters would call each other each day when she was sick, "Did you talk to mom today? Didn't she sound really bad to you?" I imagined my sister and I doing that and also trying to figure out - together, the way these sisters did - what to do about their inherited cancer gene and what their own children would likely face in the future.

Don't miss this one.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We Have.

message 1: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) This one sounds great! Thanks for recommending strongly, I'll be adding it!