Wendy's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Sep 01, 10

bookshelves: 2010, e-book, fiction, historical
Recommended for: everyone who likes a good yarn
Read from August 27 to 31, 2010, read count: 1

What a book. At 912 pages, it's as grand in scope as the cathedral that's built within its pages and the thirty-five years of history that it spans, and it's got everything – love and hate, birth and death, deception, intrigue, loyalty and betrayal, good and evil, grand plans and small details, sin and sinners, penitents and penitence, knights and earls, peasants and serfs, merchants and monks, kings, queens, and princes, towns and villages, England and Europe, war and peace, feast and famine, good luck and bad fortune… the list goes on.

This book is meticulously researched, compellingly written, brilliantly plotted, and populated with unforgettable characters who grow and change and evolve throughout the story, and I can't think of a single loose end that isn't tied up by the end.

This is a book I wish I had written. It's brilliant, it's entertaining, it's gripping, and I plan to read it again and again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.