Jenny's Reviews > The Other Queen

The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

Aug 27, 10

bookshelves: no-longer-own
Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** The Other Queen was the worst of all of the Tudor series books by Philippa Gregory. It was all I could do to get through it. I was listening to the audio book while I cleaned and found myself yelling out loud over it. angry with a scowling face and clenched teeth! hahaha. The book is about Mary Queen of Scots and her jailers for 15 years, the Talbots. Basically the newly wedded husband falls in love with MQoS and basically squanders all of his families money, his wife’s money from her other three husbands, the money to support her children, HIS own children, etc to buy MQoS gifts and keep her supplied on an equal with the queen of England herself… being served over 30 different dishes every day for dinner so she could pick. He paid to support a full court to wait on her. In thanks for all of this the woman lied to them, stabbed them in the back, used them, drove them apart and made their lives a miserable ruin. You always think of Poor MQoS, but this book paints her in a light like a backstabbing whore that will do anything to anyone to get what she wants.

It made me mad at MY OWN husband every time I heard the simpering idiot husband in the book talk about how she is so pretty she couldn’t be lying, she was an angel, Oh how he loved her, Oh how his wife is beneath her (even though she does EVERYTHING for him). I would just yell “You FUCKING idiot!” He goes on and on about how she says his name “chewsburrrey” instead of Shrewsbury, and how he thinks it’s so adorable… I want to strangle him… then I am pissed off at Trab even though he didn’t do anything! hahaha This book mad me crazy and I was never so happy as when it ended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Queen.