Greg's Reviews > These Children Who Come at You with Knives, and Other Fairy Tales: Stories

These Children Who Come at You with Knives, and Other Fairy T... by Jim Knipfel

Aug 27, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, short-stories, ha-ha-s
Read from August 25 to 27, 2010

If I had read this book when I was about eighteen or twenty I would have loved it. If I had read this book then (assuming it was out then, and didn't just get published in 2010, or assume I am twenty in 2010 and not a decrepit thirty six and that I then discovered a goodreads in 2026 and started adding books I read when I was younger but used my feelings for what thirty six year old me thought twenty year old me thought of the above-mentioned book, got it?) I would have given this five stars. I would have thought, wow! this guy is making subversive fairy tales! This might be the greatest thing since Vonnegut! And I probably would have read some more books by this guy. Instead I'm old and cranky and I got a few chuckles but the book was too grandstanding in its edginess (in the way that many writers who have New York Press in their author bios happen to be). Not that there is anything wrong with this type of edginess, but I happen to like my subversions to be a little subtler, just a hint here and there as a delicate aftertaste that explodes in the brain after a little thought. Or something like that.

This is funnier than Palahniuk. And better than anything Tom Robbins has written in probably about twenty some-odd years. And it might be better than Christopher Moore, but I've never read Christopher Moore and I'm going to stop myself from having strong opinions on an author I've never read. So, yeah I'd recommend this book, and I'll try to keep it in my rapidly calcifying and deteriorating brain as a good read for someone looking for something Vonnegut or Palahniuk-like, but who doesn't seem receptive to George Saunders.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Children Who Come at You with Knives, and Other Fairy Tales.

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine write some reviews so I can vote for them.

Greg I will. I finished this soon before I left my house this morning.

In case you were wondering that Pelevin book I was reading is apparently Buddha's Little Finger. I have a UK version, in America it has that title.

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine ah good to know. he likes him some buddha he is talking about whether or not che guevara was really a buddhist in mine.

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine as a side note why would an american library have a british edition?

Greg I think it came out in England a couple of years before it came out here. It probably wasn't available here yet when they got the book.

message 6: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine that is super cool that they went to the trouble to get an import a lot of libraries just wouldn't bother to get it.

message 7: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine also look how superfun he is

Greg He looks a little too much like he should be in The Matrix. I think it's the little sun glasses.

message 9: by Jasmine (last edited Aug 28, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Jasmine he also does gay, not that there is anything wrong with that
[image error]

message 10: by karen (new)

karen

message 11: by Dana (new)

Dana i clicked on this review purely for hugo weaving.

message 12: by Oriana (new) - added it

Oriana a good read for someone looking for something Vonnegut or Palahniuk-like, but who doesn't seem receptive to George Saunders.

Oh! That's me exactly, thanks. On the to-read shelf it goes!!