Erin Leafe's Reviews > We Were the Mulvaneys

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

4198832
Aug 27, 10

Read in August, 2010

** spoiler alert ** God I hated this book. It made me sad because I loved Joyce Carol Oats other book, Blonde, so much! But this book was just painful. Spoiler alert: the daughter gets raped and the whole family falls apart.
The story is told through the eyes of the youngst son, Jud, who it seems was to young to really remeber anything that happened. The daughter Marianne is raped after the prom, and believes that she was so drunk that she can not for sure say what happened. Even though it is painfully obvious to everyone around her. Oats wants us to think that she is so good, and saintly that she is unable to cope with the horrible thing that happened to her. I just kept thinking that she is so painfully stupid, and dim that I amazed she can tie her shoes in the morning without someone walking her through it. So I mean I disliked the victum so much.
But wait--I didn't like any of the other charaters either! Everyone is so self absorbed and we are never given any insight into their real motivation that it just leaves us to not really give a shit. I rolled my eyes so many times reading this book that I am surprised I am still able to walk a straight line.
This book is self-congradulating, tedious, and stocked full of monments where the wauthor is winking at us like "see what I didn't there--poingent right?--can't you just hear the music swelling"
This is why people hate women authors--blah

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were the Mulvaneys.