Tamkin's Reviews > Gathering Storm

F_50x66
Aug 27, 10

bookshelves: d-s
Read in August, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This book was a suprise to me - and I am happy to say a rather pleasant and multilayered one, that kept me so engrossed I finish it in one sitting.

The two main characters in this book - Vinnie and Charleston - are both living under assumed identities but for very different reasons. While Vinnie tries to escape from the long shadow his emotionally distant father has cast over his life , Charleston has set himself up as bait to catch some criminial he uncovered during his military service.

Vinnie and Charleston have a mutual history as instructor and student at a military school, a history that left Vinnie with a serious crush on Charleston. What´s more, Charleston has become Vinnie´s epitome of the one man he can neither charm, manipulate nor aggravate according to his whims. And Charleston also is probably the trigger that caused Vinnie to re-invent himself after leaving school, taking on a new identiy, new job and new friends and coming out of the closet.

But despite all this outward changes, Vinnie is not satisfied with his life and starts stalking his old school instructor, unconciously setting himself up to be caught in the act.

This sets off a series of events that leads to an action packed chase of a psychotic killer who is obsessed with Charleston and tries to use Vinnie to get to him.

But it also leads to a journey of self-discovery for Vinnie, who learns that real change requires taking emotional risks and leaving behavioural patterns behind. Last but not least, it teaches Vinnie, who tends to top from the bottom, what submitting means to Charleston.

"Gathering Storm" to me is a balanced mix of strong characterization and a gripping action plot. And while D/s is a strong element in this book, the time spend on describing BDSM and/or sex scences is suprisingly little - but nevertheless packing just the right punch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gathering Storm.