Carolyn (Book Chick City)'s Reviews > The Spy Who Saved Christmas

The Spy Who Saved Christmas by Dana Marton

Reviewed by Laura for Book Chick City.

There's nothing like a Christmas book to get you feeling all festive! I always make sure to try and read at least one each year. This is a book from Harlequin's Intrigue collection, which is one of those books you pick up and pretty much know what you're going to get. A will they, won't they story line and a nice, cosy happy ending.

Two years ago Lara inherited a butchers from her Uncle and fell for the bad boy baker next door Reid. An impulsive and passionate night later, Reid's missing, presumed dead in a fire and Lara is left pregnant with twins.

The book begins two years later. Single mother Lara has grieved for the loss of her children's father and is trying to move on with her life. However, unbeknownst to her Reid is very much alive and far from being a baker, he is in fact an undercover agent responsible for bringing down terrorists.

With a crazy twist of coincidence, Lara is out for her first date since the twins birth, at the same restaurant Reid is meeting an informant. Things spiral out of control and Reid ends up saving Lara's life but his act ends up putting Lara and the twins in danger.

Reid had never meant to let Lara know he was still alive, but when their children are kidnapped they must work together to save them. Reid is quite single-minded, believing that Lara and the boys are better off without him in their lives. But as the chemistry between he and Lara sizzles they both have to admit their feelings for one another.

Admittedly the premise of the book is a little silly and a couple of times I found myself rolling my eyes. It's not really that believable, but if you can embrace the silliness and enjoy the story it's mostly quite a fun read. In fact, it may even give you a bit of a giggle at some of the scenes. Plus, we all like to see a man who believes that love and a family aren't for him get proven wrong!

I was a bit disappointed given the title, that there was not more Christmas in it! I think there were about roughly five or six references. I was looking for lots of festive cheer and maybe a visit from Santa, but I think maybe I'm just a bit crazy about Christmas! :-)

VERDICT:

Ok, so this is far from the best romance I've ever read and the storyline is quite implausible. But if you want a fun story with a (slightly) festive theme, then grab a glass of wine and snuggle up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spy Who Saved Christmas.