Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Sep 06, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, humor, ya, read-in-2010, own
Read from August 26 to 29, 2010

John Green and David Levithan are basically literary YA gods as it is, but when you put them together, you get something that is essentially perfection.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is easily my feel-good book of the year. It’s witty, hilarious, comically outlandish, yet tender, charming, and full of heart. The two Will Grayson’s are so different from one another and have such distinctive voices that I found myself tearing through the pages to see just what was happening with each of them.

Will Grayson #1, the Will who has a not so tiny best friend named Tiny, comes off as that always in the background kind of guy. He tries to stick to everyone’s periphery, but has a hard time doing that with such a huge and flamboyant best friend. His girl issues, friend issues, and fake ID issues are told in such a matter of fact way that I couldn’t help but feel for him, but laugh at the same time. Out of the two Wills, this one is my favorite.

Will Grayson #2, the Will with no real friends and a gay secret, comes off as just depressed and almost pitiful. I couldn’t help but feel bad for him, but this Will does not take pity. His anger and self-hatred comes off so raw that it’s impossible to not feel something for him.

As the story progresses, the pent up emotions that both Will’s harbor begin to boil to the surface and explode with the opening of Tiny’s biggest gay musical in history. As far as characters go, this book has them in droves. Will Grayson and Will Grayson and interesting and unique, but the supporting characters are all very strong and well-fleshed out as well. Tiny, the gay football player, Jane, the pretentiously cute girl, Isaac, the online gay buddy, and even depressing, ‘I want to be more than just friends’ Maura, all have something that makes them stick out. Their personalities are as large as Tiny and they refuse to go unnoticed.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is an incredibly well-written gem that sticks out in the mountain of YA books out today. This more than lives up to the hype with zingers on every single page and characters that I’m not likely to ever forget. I had a goofy grin plastered on my face nearly the entire time I was reading this and that’s doesn’t happen too often.

Opening line: When I was little, my dad used to tell me, “Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose.” ~ pg. 3

Favorite line(s): this is why we call people exes, i guess – because the paths that cross in the middle end up separating at the end. it’s too easy to see an X as a cross-out. it’s not, because there’s no way to cross out something like that. the X is a diagram of two paths. ~ pg. 277
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will Grayson, Will Grayson.