Cydnie's Reviews > The Last Will of Moira Leahy

The Last Will of Moira Leahy by Therese Walsh

Aug 26, 2010

bookshelves: mystery, romance, supernatural
Read from August 26 to September 04, 2010

This is a book that was hard to classify. I don't often give a book 5 stars, and I usually base my rating on how I feel when I finish the book, and then a few days later. I still feel the same about this one.
When I first saw this book, I assumed the "Last Will.." to be "the last will and testament...", but as you read you discover that it is not a document. It didn't 'catch' me right off, it took a couple of chapters for me to figure our who everyone was and get settled in but I am glad that I kept reading.

What I liked:
1. The chapters trade between 'present' day, and Maeve & Moira ages 10-16. The chapters of their youth always begin with the month(s) it covers and the age they are at the time.
2. Maeve & Moira are identical twins, but their mother wants them to grow as individuals. In some ways that works, but in others it backfires. At one time they had their own language, as they grew they could read each others thoughts and feelings. Through the chapters of their youth, we watch the gradual change in their close relationship.
3. The author keeps the pace of the story continually moving, yet not so fast as to feel rushed. We slowly learn about the past as Maeve slowly learns to move ahead and come to terms with it. We don't even find out what happened to Moira until 200+ pages into the story.
4. Scenes that could have been graphic were well written as to give enough information, but not make me say, "Why did she have to put that in here!?!" Thank you Ms. Walsh.
5. Maeve's grief is portrayed through her person. She was a feisty, vivacious red-head. Now she bleaches all color from her shortened hair, spurns any attention from men, refuses to return home, and spends her time between her apartment and her small office - as a university professor of languages.
6. I REALLY appreciated how the author incorporated the foreign languages. I hate when foreign phrases are used, and I never know what is being said! In this novel the English translation follows the phrase, and is woven in so seemlessly that it never feels awkward.
7. The energy driving the story continues through the end. Some books I've read lately seem to come to an end before the words run out. That, or, the final chapters are superfluous or anti-climactic. This one had me going until the very last.

Things I didn't like:
1. The character of Ermanno was creepy. His actions do play an important part in Maeve's self-discovery, but he was just a bit too much for me.
2. There was one scene, near the end, that was very 'mystical' and in some ways put me off, but not enough for me to dislike the overall story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Will of Moira Leahy.