Casey (A Passion for Books)'s Reviews > The Iron King

4209856
Aug 26, 10

bookshelves: own, favorites
Read in December, 2010

Freaking Awesome! And that’s putting it mildly.

I’ve always been a huge fan of the fae and when you add in some twists, you get the unforgettable world of The Iron King. You have the basic faerie story elements - Oberon, Titania, Puck, the Seelie and Unseelie Courts - but that’s where The Iron King’s similarities to other faerie stories end. There was a twist to the tale that I didn’t expect nor have I seen done before. I wouldn’t have thought it was possible, yet Kagawa did it…and she did it well too!

There aren’t many times, especially with debuts, that I find myself thoroughly enjoying every single character. There are usually a couple that really stand out while the rest seem to fade into the background…that definitely wasn’t the case here. The characters are so well-developed and diverse! Megan is a unique heroine that won’t be dissuaded from her goal. She’s strong, independent, stubborn, and selfless…just what I like to see. Even the supporting characters were memorable…Robbie the kooky best friend with an edge of mystery, Ash the dangerous and deadly winter Prince you can’t help but love (I know I sure do), and Grimalkin the arrogant cat that will keep you on your toes!

I just loved reading about Nevermore. Kagawa’s vivid and imaginative descriptions allowed me to feel as though I was experiencing all the wonderful, and not so wonderful things right alongside Megan. Kagawa created such an enchanting and riveting novel…I was completely immersed in the magical story. Every scene just flowed so smoothly and beautifully from one to another.

The Iron King is one extraordinary debut filled with action, romance, humor, and oh so much more. I strongly recommend it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.