Jenn's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Jul 11, 11

Read in July, 2011

Much like Hoseeini's first book "The Kite Runner", "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is a bit of a slow cooker. It takes some time for the stage to be set, but once it is, this book is a real gripper. I loved it, even more than "The Kite Runner". I was continually amazed (sickened really) as I watched the dates creep closer and closer to our current time, and read about the fighting and oppression getting worse and worse. There is one point in the book where the rules of the Taliban are laid out and it absolutely made my stomach turn to think that people today are actually punished to the degree they are for such simple violations as not having long enough facial hair or wearing makeup. So sad. In spite of the overall depressing subject matter, the ending of the book left me feeling hopeful...melancholy, but hopeful.....that one day the people of Afghanistan will enjoy freedoms that they never knew were possible.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.