Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Forget You

Forget You by Jennifer Echols

Aug 30, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, chick-lit, ya, read-in-2010, for-review, own
Read in August, 2010

It’s not too often that I read contemporary fiction, but I’m happy that I ventured into the world of Forget You by Jennifer Echols. The story is interesting and engaging, while also being completely believable. The characters really stood out to me because they were realistic and heartfelt. Zoey is easy to relate to and more than easy to empathize with, given her circumstances with her loony bin mom and her ass of a dad.

Echols tackles this story with honesty and the shows the reality of teenage life. Zoey’s life isn’t perfect and she’s far from perfect herself. In a time when her family is falling apart, Zoey strives to present herself with the perfect life. She starts out with both feet firmly planted on the ground, but after an unexpected pregnancy (her dad knocks up his employee), a divorce (lots of yelling), and a suicide attempt (her mom is all kinds of messed up post-divorce) Zoey’s firmly planted feet begin to shift and the book explores the raw emotions that can come with all of that.

In the aftermath of the divorce, Zoey does what many teens would do, she becomes more reckless. She becomes more sexual and more interested in the thrills of a sexual relationship. When Zoey wakes up the morning after a car accident to find ‘not her boyfriend’ Doug checking in on her all lovey dovey like, the story really takes off. What happened the night of the accident that caused Zoey to not be with her boyfriend Brandon? And why is Doug all of a sudden being nice to her?

This is where the writing and the characterizations really shine. Zoey’s at a loss as to what happened to her and bad boy Doug seems to be the only person who knows the truth. Their relationship and the slowly unraveling mystery about that night had me yearning for more. The chemistry between Doug and Zoey is undeniable and the sexual tension was incredibly well-written. Doug could have easily been just the sexy bad boy, but Echols made me love him with his depth and his personality. Oh, and he’s gorgeous and has the most incredible eyes. That helps too.

The realization about that forgotten night forces Zoey to really take a look at her life, at herself, at the people around her, and grow up a little. She goes through a lot in such a short amount of time and by the end, she’s better because of it. All of that makes the book sound heavy, but it’s not really. Forget You is a fast, addicting read that gives us the reality of teens with sex, lust, and a lot of sarcasm. I loved it.

Opening line: Every strong swimmer has a story about nearly drowning. ~ pg. 1

Favorite line(s): He frowned at me. “Why haven’t you been turning the world upside down looking for your real diamond earrings?”
I shrugged. “I figured they’d turn up. Like my virginity.” ~ pg. 174
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forget You.