Danielle's Reviews > Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

F 50x66
Aug 26, 10

Read in August, 2010

I was on the fence about reading this book after reading Eat, Pray, Love and the middling reviews it came out to didn't much entice me. However, it was available to check out as an ebook from my library so I went ahead and placed a hold on it figuring I might download and read it when my turn came up. Well it so happens that my turn came up the day after I saw the movie adaptation of Eat, Pray, Love which kind of sparked my interest in actually reading it. The story pretty much picks up where Eat, Pray, Love leaves off with Ms. Gilbert and her Brazilian lover Felipe together and happily unmarried that is until Homeland Security has it's say. Their verdict get married or Felipe will never set foot in the United States again. As a result two people who have no interest in being married, although they are in a committed relationship wind up being forced into marriage. The book covers their time together traveling outside the US while awaiting all Felipe's papers to be in order so they can actually wed up until the actual wedding. During this time Gilbert attempts to reconcile her views on marriage by doing some research: some on the history of marriage, some by talking to the people in the countries she is vising about their perspective on marriage, and some by talking to her own family members about their marriages. For as bad as the reviews were about this book I didn't hate it. I found much of the marriage information interesting especially in light of the recent struggle over gay marriage. I found their actual relationship less interesting. I wouldn't say that you need to rush right out and read this book, but you could do worse if you're looking for something to read and this is available.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Committed.