Scott's Reviews > Last Night I Sang to the Monster

Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Nov 01, 2010

Recommended for: High School and above
Read from September 10 to October 26, 2010

I have to say that this has quietly become one of my favorite books. The story is about addiction and the walls in one's life that block recovery. It's about trying to forgive in order to live life. I'll admit it was a slow read for awhile, but I think it was a subconscious thing. The danger is that it's too easy to see yourself in the characters that are portrayed and that can be difficult, especially if you've dealt with any kind of recovery in your life. And who hasn't these days?
More than anything, this book is a love story, but not in the traditional sense. It's about loving oneself and loving others. It's also a story of hope. I've never had a book in which made me cry repeatedly for the last quarter of the book. The author did an incredible job of letting the reader into the minds of the characters. More surprisingly, the book was incredibly poetic, again, not in the traditional sense. I vested so much of myself into hoping Zach would overcome his demons and learn to forgive and live life. This will be a book that will resonate with you for some time.
This is not a book for middle schoolers. The language is extreme as is some of the content.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night I Sang to the Monster.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-4 of 4) </span> <span class="smallText">(4 new)</span>

Jorian Finally........ ;)

message 2: by Blake (new)

Blake Tegtman From the way you explained it....It sounds Great!

Karin Mitchell Scott, if you're interested in another book about residential treatment (told from a girl's perspective,) I'd love to offer to gift you a copy of my book, Between Families which also deals with addition. It's a younger child and the addiction issue is her mother's and she lives in a residential treatment center for kids. Let me know if you're interested and if not, please feel free to delete this comment. I mean no offense.

Scott Karin wrote: "Scott, if you're interested in another book about residential treatment (told from a girl's perspective,) I'd love to offer to gift you a copy of my book, Between Families which also deals with add..."

Sorry, haven't logged into Goodreads for far too long. I'ld love to check out your book. Let me know if you still are interested or not. And if not, no big deal. It's been a few months. Thanks again.