Joanne's Reviews > Later, at the Bar

Later, at the Bar by Rebecca Barry

Aug 26, 10

Read in August, 2010

Somewhere along the line, I had this book on my TO READ list and when making a library run decided to take it out.

The book is about the patrons of an upstate New York local watering hole called Lucy’s Tavern. It’s a quick short read of little stories with a rather focused set of interconnected realistic characters, but there are many psychological things going on. There are men and women who like both sexes, patrons with multiple ex’s that also frequent Lucy’s, reunions with ex’s that cause later regret, hope of love found at the bar, a longing for happiness and relief from loneliness and despair in the cold small town they live in. In the confines of the tavern with the help of alcohol and cigarettes, they find temporary comfort friendship, acceptance, and fellowship while the outside world still gives them troubles. Lucy's a diversion that gets them though life.

Reminded me of a rural version of Sex in the City without the glitter, glam or excitement and I genuinely felt sorry and sad for the characters. "Instructions for a Substitute Bus Driver" gave little hope to the plight of the next generation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Later, at the Bar.