Tiffany's Reviews > The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: shortstories
Read from September 17 to 18, 2010

Damnit, I really didn't want to like this. It's chick lit, so I figured I'd just breeze right through it, barely paying attention, but somehow, it sucked me in. I think it helps that it's a collection of short stories, rather than being a full-blown novel of chick lit.

A high 3.5 stars, but I just can't bring myself to give it 4 full stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing.

Quotes Tiffany Liked

Melissa Bank
“I felt I couldn't lose anything else, but just then I realized I already had: I'd lost the hope that I would ever be loved in just that way again.”

Melissa Bank
“I hate weddings,' she says. 'They make me feel so unmarried. Actually, even brushing my teeth makes me feel unmarried.”

Melissa Bank
“My theory was that if you had breasts, boys wanted to have sex with you, which wasn't exactly a big compliment, since they wanted to have sex any way. Whereas if you had a beautiful face, like Julia, boys fell in love with you, which seemed to happen against their will. Then the sex that you had would be about love.”

Melissa Bank
“The writing is clean. I really wouldn't have changed a word. Most of it is true, too, except that the hero quits drinking and the girl grows up. On the last page, the couple gets married, which is a nice way for a love story to end.”

Melissa Bank
“Nice,' I say, realizing only afterward that I've mimicked her, a bad habit of mine; I'm like one of those animals that imitates its predators to survive.”

Melissa Bank
“The only relationships I haven't wrecked right away were the ones that wrecked me later.”

Melissa Bank
“You can feel that he wants to own you - not like an object but like a good dream he wants to keep having. He lets you know that you already own him.”

Melissa Bank
“I said, "It's not like that." I wanted to convince her. I said "We think alike."

Oh, my dear," she said. "A man thinks with his dick.”